Monday, August 25, 2008

Jen’s Easy-Peasy Pea Soup

I've never been a big fan of peas... maybe it has something to do with receiving an ugly beige, too-small Pea Soup Andersons t-shirt for my 12th birthday... or having to sit at my Grandmother Verna's dining table until I finished the pile of cold canned peas on my plate... but self-introspection aside, I've never been able to muster much enthusiasm for this little green legume.

Once I was "grown-up" enough to make my own food-related choices I was a happily pea-free girl for many years. Then I got married and wouldn't you just know, it's one of Andrew's favorite veggies. Since then I've been trying different ways of preparing peas to make them more palatable to me.

One cold winter night I thought... Soup! (what'd I do with that t-shirt?) After some preliminary research I came up with this recipe. It's quick, it's easy and gosh darn if it doesn't taste yummy. Even to a non-pea eater like me!

¨ 1 bag frozen peas with pearl onions
¨ Dash of olive oil
¨ Tbsp of butter
¨ 1 (14oz) can chicken stock
¨ 1 tsp curry powder (or more to taste)
¨ squeeze of fresh lemon juice
¨ salt and pepper to taste
¨ dollop of sour cream (optional)


Heat olive oil and butter in a saucepot until butter is just melted. Add bag of peas with pearl onions, sauté until most of the moisture is gone (about 5 minutes). Add curry powder and stir to coat veggies. Add chicken stock and bring liquid to a boil.

Remove pot from heat and let mixture cool slightly – puree with either a food processor or a stick blender. Add squeeze of lemon and salt and pepper to taste.

If you want a smoother consistency you can strain it through a sieve, or just eat as is.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream (if desired)

1 comment:

Andrew said...

I wouldn't call them a "favorite", just one of the few I dislike least. Now, if you're talking white corn or green beans...