Thursday, August 21, 2008

Jen's Spicy, Cheesy, Habit-Forming, Veggie-Loving, Empty-Bowl-Lickin Dip

This recipe is called “The Dip” by my friends and family. I created this recipe for our Poker Night parties. I used to make Chili con Queso, but then one of our friends stopped eating meat. She lamented the loss of the cheesy dip she loved – thus this non-meat version was born. Beware: this recipe is highly addictive – I’ve had some people call it “crack-dip” ‘cause you can’t just have one bite!

¨ 2 cans Ro-Tel tomatoes (well drained)
¨ 2 small cans diced black olives (drained)
¨ 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
¨ 1 can chopped jalapenos (drained) optional
¨ 1 cup mayo (or less – just enough to bind ingredients)
¨ Dash of garlic salt – to taste
¨ Dash of Tabasco – to taste
¨ 1 can sliced black olives (drained)
¨ 1 bunch green onions - chopped

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix first 5 ingredients together and season with garlic salt and Tabasco. Spoon dip into an oven-save serving dish and bake for approx. 20 minutes – or just until the cheese has melted and the top has started to brown. Just before serving sprinkle top with sliced olives and chopped green onions. Serve with chips, sliced baguettes, pita bread...(I'm partial to Tostitos Scoops - they're like edible spoons!)

2 comments:

Perky Mommy said...

I would just like to say that after waiting for years to see the most famous website that was never made be made, I am MOST excellently excited to see Niffer's Noshes. This is SUCH a perfect theme for a website for you. I must RSS this immediately!

I would also like to nominate cyberRoo as a guest contributor.

Perky Mommy said...

I'm commenting again: Fritos Scoops are also a very good chip for this dip. I'm just saying.